2017 marks the 15th year of the water transfer from Imperial to San Diego. In 2003, the State Water Resources Control Board required that the Sea remain at its then level for 15 years by purchasing water otherwise intended for farms and putting it into the Sea. In the meantime, the State of California was to develop and being implementing a restoration plan. Mitigation water was not effective and the Sea is three feet lower than anticipated. More critically, mitigation water ceased completely in July 2017, and the water deal will ramp up to its full diversion at the end of this year even though San Diego has more water than it can use.
In 2002-03, CURE urged IID to limit the water transfer to 15 rather than 75 years so that the impacts could be reevaluated. That proposal was rejected. CURE also advocated that the water transfer be placed on hold until the State of California adopts and funds a meaningful plan. Delaying the QSA is controversial and San Diego Water Authority vigorously rejects this idea.
At this time, the demise of the Salton Sea and its impact on local communities seems inevitable.
CURE will continue its efforts to collaborate with the Salton Sea Authority, the Imperial Irrigation District, the American Lung Association of California, The EcoMedia Compass and other organizations and agencies committed restoring the Salton Sea & mitigating the impacts of decades of inaction.
In The News:
- Salton Sea: State to consider $3B for water import proposals
- Comment Letter: Salton Sea in connection with the September 7,2017 workshop on the Proposed Stipulated Order to WRO 2002-2013
- Studying dust around the Salton Sea, scientists find initial answers
- Energy Briefs: Senate approves SB 701 to support Salton Sea Plan.
- April 11 2017 Minutes on Salton Sea Legislation
- IID 3-15-17 Petition for Evidentiary Hearing
- Salton Sea FFAP Benchmark 5 vol 2- Infrastructure Financing Feasibility Analysis Appendix
- Salton Sea FFAP Benchmark 5- Infrastructure Financing Feasibility Analysis
- Salton Sea Authority Board of Directors Meeting June 2017
- SALTON SEA MANAGEMENT PROGRAM PHASE I: 10 Public Workshop 2017